SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index

SaveTheCougar.Org
Michigan Cougar sighting archive as reported to SaveTheCougar.Org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
11/17/2010 - Iosco County, Michigan - cougar sighting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Iosco County Michigan Cougar Sightings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micougar
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: 11/17/2010 - Iosco County, Michigan - cougar sighting. Reply with quote

Iosco County, Michigan - cougar sighting.
Reported Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM to www.savethecougar.org
Date of Observation: November 17 2010
Time: 3:30 pm
County: Iosco
Location Description: The Huron National Forest East of Hale and South of the Au sable River near the intersection of forest roads 4420 and 4406 ...jack pines, scrub oak and some grassy area
Sighting Description:
While deer hunting from a tree stand hung in some large jack pines overlooking a field surrounded by scrub oak and small pines I saw what I thought was A Deer coming through the scrubs.As it entered the field aprox.30 feet from me on my left I realized it was not A deer but A large cat,it crossed the field right in front of me at an angle and I could clearly see that it was a cougar dark brown in color with A long tail that was hung down between its hind legs and curled up(or it would have drug the ground)with a black tip. It had its nose to the ground with its mouth slightly open and seemed to be trailing something,It exited the field on my right at about 75 feet from my tree I could not belive my eyes... It was headed on an angle towards forest road 4406 when it went into some thick brush I climbed from my stand and ran towards the road(about 100 yards)hoping to see it cross It never did I walked the road looking for tracks but none were found, I returned to where I seen it cross the field and realized the size of the animal I had seen was about 2 feet high at the shoulders and 3.5-4 feet long not including the tail.. the size of A large dog I then climbed back up in my stand where I could see farther in case it was still there...we were camping in A tent not 300 yards from where I had seen it, I returned to camp before dark that night and at first light the next morning myself and anoth er hunter from our party walked the road where it should have crossed we saw tracks of A cat exiting the field right where I thought it should then followed my tracks back to where I had exited the woods from my tree stand the night before there is no doubt in my mind that I saw A cougar and it saw me as I walked the road looking for it...Two days later I reported this to A forest ranger he asked if I had any pics. I said no and he promptly rolled up the window of his truck and drove away...this is my second sighting the first was about 10 miles from this spot fom a car and not as personal...I will return when the snow falls and look for big cat signs and hang a trail cam..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaveTheCougar.Org Forum Index -> Iosco County Michigan Cougar Sightings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: